September 11, 2009

Edible Water Convolvulus




this is the big water convolvulus which when fried with sambal belachan tastes just like kangkong!

It looks a lot like water hyacinth the plant you often find in drains and small streams in Sarawak.

I was just passing by this area so I did not have a chance to eat a meal. My friend who was showing me the place mentioned that many ladies pick this vegetables in the weekends but not too often though as they have so many other vegetables to choose from. It is rather exotic and children do not particularly like it. Some women think that it is too cooling for their bodies. And anyway it is not a vegetable one can buy in the native market yet.

However I remember eating some in Sibu a long time ago. My cousin Wendy (Lee)cooked it and it was really nice. She is a very good cook having come from a great family of good cooks.

Has any one tried this vegetable before?

2 comments:

Ah Ngao said...

yeah,these water vege/plants can be eaten but for precaution measures - do thoroughly wash them becoz some may contains parasitic minit worms.

Ensurai said...

Thanks for the tip...actually I got worried because they are not really properly grown...and one can never tell what crawlies there are around them!!

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...